Field Hockey adapts practices for social distancing

Lexi Guo

The field hockey team participates in a drill on Finnegan Field.

Edward Chen, Staff Writer

Throughout the reopening process, field hockey has held regular optional practices despite having no scheduled games. 

Because tryouts were initially postponed, practices are open to anybody who intends to play field hockey during the fall season. Interested players meet five times a week for an hour and a half. Starting Sept. 29, their practices’ duration will be increased to two hours. 

“It’s nice to see that there are a good 15 or 20 interested freshmen at the practices,” captain Grace Nockolds said. 

During practice, the field is divided into three parts—upperclassmen, sophomores and freshmen—to space players out. Their practices focus on strength and conditioning as well as on three drill rotations to hone passing, shooting and stick skills. 

Players must wear masks whenever they are not running a drill, and coaches closely monitor the practices to break up any accidental clumping among the players. 

Each practice ends with five-on-five scrimmages. All head-to-head play had previously been prohibited to limit direct contact between players, but because COVID-19 metrics for the School remain stable, scrimmages are now permitted. 

“We can finally show the results of our drills in actual play,” Nockolds said.  

Nockolds enjoys seeing the friendly competition among her teammates, and she looks forward to the tryouts on Sept. 30 to Oct. 2, which will bring them a step closer to forming official teams and organizing games. 

Field hockey will be able to participate in games with other schools starting Oct. 5.

“I hope everything goes smoothly, and I’m excited for the season to begin at last,” Nockolds said.