Poll

This poll has ended.

What is your favorite school lunch grab-and-go option?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Quiz

Quiz: Which Papa's Game Are You?

image

There was an error. Please try again.

6 Total Questions

Facebook
Subscribe to our email list!

Football, field hockey sport new styles during preseason

Courtesy of field hockey captains
Junior Adair Patterson, clad in red, white and blue, flexes her American spirit.

To kick off the 2023-24 school year, football and field hockey ditched their red-and-black jerseys and sported costumes better suited for the beach or the ‘80s.

Football games featured a variety of themed days from PJs and camo to outfits fit for the slopes, and field hockey held both neon and U.S.A.-themed practices to mix up the usual routine.

“We are usually only allowed to wear St. John’s colored shorts, but one day, our coach told us to wear neon shorts the next day,” senior field hockey goalie Libby Smith said.

This spontaneous decision led to the U.S.A. theme the following day, where players adorned national colors, glitter and eagle attire. 

“It put everyone in a really good mood because it was so hot and we were just trying to get through the running,” Smith said. “It made practice silly and crazy at the beginning, and we just all got really into it.”

The heat, which broke records and set a heat advisory for Houston, either delayed or caused precautions for practices all throughout preseason week. Whether players were practicing on turf or grass, the exceedingly hot weather made the prospect of playing somewhat intimidating, but the dress-up days had the ability to take players’ minds off of it for a little while.

These themed days were suggested by then-senior Dair MacFarland three years ago. While they were initially intended to bring a bit more energy and camaraderie to intense practices, they ended up becoming a fan-favorite and has since then been a tradition for the football team.

“Summer workouts are brutal, but by doing the fit checks, we help boost morale going into these long practices and get excited for the season as a team,” Michael Murphy, a senior football captain, said on behalf of all five captains.

Not only did dressing up help raise team energy, it also gave teammates a chance to bond, particularly for the incoming freshmen. 

“The dress-up days made me and the other freshmen feel welcomed by the football community—the FAMILY,” freshman Henry Neff said.

FAMILY, an acronym that stands for “Forget About Me, I Love You,” is the mantra of the St. John’s football program—one that is clearly instilled in the team throughout the season. From team meetings to “fit checks,” captains and coaches strive for an inclusive, tight-knit team that truly feels like a family.

Whether it be football or field hockey, all athletes at St. John’s aspire to make their teams not only great on the field, but also connected off of it. These dress-up days, according to Murphy, made that possible throughout preseason and brought players closer together in ways they would not have been able to otherwise.

“Going into practice after having fun with the fit checks definitely led to the team being more enthusiastic and ready to play, while giving people something to look forward to the next day,” Murphy said.