Poll

What's your favorite New York Times game?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Quiz

Which NYT game are you?

image

There was an error. Please try again.

9 Total Questions

Facebook
Subscribe to our email list!

Kinkaid Week: Pep Rally Finale

Virginia Carolyn Crawford
Football captains Michael Murphy, Peter McGarry, Stephen Gill, Cole Allen and Barrett Mossman showed up in all red and black, bringing their Maverick spirit to the Kinkaid video and the football field.

On Oct. 27 at the Upper School pep rally, students watched this year’s special Kinkaid Video. Students reflect on the combined work and effort put into creating this over 30-minute-long video.

Like all other seniors, Virginia Carolyn Crawford, Ava Oliver and Ella Piper Claffy received an email at the end of their junior year with an application to create the Kinkaid Video.

Crawford, a multimedia editor for The Review, Oliver, a video creator for The Review, and Claffy, a Print Editor-in-Chief for The Review, initially dismissed the form without a second thought. But as summer rolled around, the opportunity appealed more and more to them.

Soon, Crawford brought up the idea of joining the film team.

“We didn’t think our role would be super grand,” she said. But after pitching their ideas to Duncan and the football captains in August, they received the green light to begin writing a script.

Crawford, Oliver and Claffy just wrapped up their roles at the helm of the video-making project. Claffy wrote individual scenes, Oliver directed and edited and Crawford coordinated filming schedules.

Amidst the hectic lives of Upper School students and faculty, the video editors admit that getting actors together at the same time was far from easy. Coordinating costumes and creating lines took considerable effort as well.

“That was the hardest part,” Oliver said. “We can come up with an idea. Editing takes forever, but we can do that too. We just don’t have control over people’s schedules.”

Crawford, Oliver and Claffy ended up filming a major scene for the video—one with over thirty people—on Oct. 11, when students did not attend their actual classes due to the PSAT. It would have proved “impossible” to schedule the shoot at another time.

Despite this chaos, the trio appreciates the friendships the Kinkaid video has brought them.

“This was a film very much based on personality and humor,” Crawford said. “So you were seeing people in their best, funny states. And that was just super fun to be around.”