Boys’ volleyball beats Episcopal, continues undefeated streak

Anthony Dayao

Captain Michael Urdahl jumps for a spike at a game against Kinkaid Sept. 15.

Eli Maierson, Staff Writer

Boys’ volleyball defeated the Episcopal Knights 3-1 on Sept. 20, continuing their undefeated record in the SPC conference.

The Mavericks won the first two sets 25-18 and 25-22, but fell in the third set 25-18. Although discouraged by the loss, the team managed to pull together and win 25-17 in the fourth set.

“Their outsides and their middles have really developed as players,” said sophomore Justin Owens about the Knights. “We’ve got to work on defending against them.”

Junior captain Michael Urdahl wants the team to focus on passing more consistently.

“We struggled a little bit,” Urdahl said. “When you fall apart on passing, your setting isn’t there and you really don’t get good hits.”

Senior Erik Andrade and junior Gregory Dayao dive for a pass. (Anthony Dayao)
Senior Erik Andrade and junior Gregory Dayao dive for a pass at the Kinkaid game. The Mavs ended with a 3-1 win. (Anthony Dayao)

Head Coach Charles Hulett motivates the players with a classic mantra: there’s always room for improvement.

“For volleyball, [passing] is a constant for the sport,” Hulett said. “You’ll never run into a coach that thinks their team is great at passing. It’s something that’s always going to be asked to be a little bit stronger.”

This past weekend Sept. 24, the Mavericks won 3-0 against St. Stephen’s. The Mavericks currently stand 12-3-0 overall. With SPC beginning on Thursday, Nov. 3rd, the team will continue to strive for a new banner on the wall of Liu Court.

The team’s next match will take place on Saturday, Oct. 1st, against St. Mark’s.