Senior accepted to TPSMEA Choral All State for fourth time

Xiaohui Li

Katina Christensen became the only person in St. John’s history to be admitted into TPSMEA Choral All State for all four years of Upper School on Nov. 9. 

Edward Chen, Staff Writer

TPSMEA All State is a highly selective ensemble that allows students in Texas to hone their musical abilities. Each year, Upper School choir members have the opportunity to submit a recording online to audition for the honor choir. TPSMEA canceled the 2021 All State Clinic and Concert, which would have taken place in Dallas, but ranked all applicants and informed them whether or not they placed in the choir. 

Christensen feels that All State provides high standards and caliber of talent to help students improve their vocal ability. She enjoys the satisfaction of performing the advanced, emotive pieces at the end of the conventions.

“The repertoire is more intricate than in school, and I really like rising up to meet the challenge,” Christensen said.

For the past three years, Kantorei and Chorale president Jenny Green has also placed into TPSMEA All State but as a Soprano 2. 

The repertoire is more intricate than in school, and I really like rising up to meet the challenge.

— Katina Christensen

As sophomores, Christensen and Green shared a room during the convention. The two enjoyed casual activities during convention downtimes, like eating at a Shabu Shabu restaurant.

“Katina and I have different friends, and we generally spend our time apart on campus,” Green said. “Our relationship is definitely stronger because of choral activities and performances.”

In addition to singing in church choir for eight years, Christensen played piano and violin. In her junior and senior years, she landed major singing roles as Tanya in “Mamma Mia!” and Jack’s mother in “Into the Woods.”

Christensen’s mother encouraged her to take private lessons and has been a big source of support.

“My mom was super excited when St. John’s first came out with information about an honor choir audition,” Christensen said. 

Christensen has participated in seven honor choirs throughout her choral career, including the American Choral Directors Convention and the Organization of American Kodály Educators National Conference Choir. 

“I can’t imagine my childhood without [honor choir],” Christensen said.