Winning Stroke: Swim team confident en route to SPC

Senior Daniel Bland swims the breaststroke at one of the team’s first meets of the season, hosted by SJS and Lamar.

Jake Nyquist

Michael VerMeulen, Staff Writer

Following success at a recent meet in Corpus Christi, the swim team feels confident as they prepare for SPC.

Jan. 11, the swim team traveled to Corpus Christi to compete in the two-day meet where the girls’ team placed second and the boys’ team placed third.

“I was not only surprised but also overwhelmingly impressed and encouraged by the dedication and sportsmanship that we achieved,” senior captain Jeffrey Fastow said.

While individual swimmers consistently place highly, the team believes that that the entire group shines when working as a unit.

“The St. John’s relays have a diverse and talented group of swimmers from all four grades,” Fastow said. “We all primarily swim different strokes but work well together and comprise a formidable relay team. Our freshmen and sophomores look very promising for the years ahead, and our juniors are beginning to take roles of leadership.”

The team’s camaraderie assists them as they compete and practice throughout the year. Standouts like junior Elena Skaribas, a two-time Gulf Championship winner, help the team achieve rankings.

“The SJS team is basically one big family of weirdos,” Skaribas said. “Everyone has his or her quirks that bring fun and enjoyment to the sport. I have always appreciated how supportive and friendly every member on the swim team is. Whether it’s at meets, in practice, or around campus, I can always rely on having people there to help me.”

The team is preparing for the SPC championships in Conroe, Feb. 15, at the John Cooper School and St. Mark’s School

“SJS has been consistently in the top tier of teams competing in these meets,” Head Coach Ron Raper said. “Our expectations are to place as high as possible in the SPC Championships and to have all of our swimmers and divers continually improve.”

Upcoming Competitions

1/25   HAPPI League Meet

2/15   SPC Championships