Students express personality, individuality through school supplies

Clockwise from top left: Donut tape dispensers, donut erasers, miniature staplers, hashtag erasers and colorful pens are some of the quirky supplies students use to brighten the school day.

Sinclair Mott

Sinclair Mott, Staff Writer

While other students shopped at Target and OfficeMax for school supplies, sophomore Mary VanLoh visited the craft store to buy fabric for her DIY pencil bag. VanLoh sews her own pencil bags each year and creates a theme for her school supplies. She enjoys designing her own supplies because she has creative control over what the end product looks like.

With a dress code limiting the ways in which students can express themselves through their clothes, colorful pens and unique binders are used to show students’ individuality. The Spirit Store offers a wide variety of school supplies, but some students opt to make or purchase more creative materials. The unique school supplies help students express themselves and become more excited for school.

“I started making my own pencil bags because I get to use whatever fabric I want,” VanLoh said. “Having my own school supplies that I really like makes me more excited for school.”

While many students take notes with pencils or black pens, sophomores Lindsay Gobillot and Gray Bertuccio use multicolored pens to enhance their notes. Gobillot also uses calligraphy pens to incorporate different fonts when taking notes.

“Calligraphy pens are fun to write with because they make my notes more interesting and eye-catching,” Gobillot said.

History teacher Tav Tavakoli asks students to use a color coordination scheme when taking notes. Gobillot is in his class and uses her calligraphy pens to complete assignments.

Bertuccio also finds that adding an interesting color scheme to her notes helps her learn information presented in class.

“In order to make my classroom experience more enjoyable, I like to make my notes as creative as possible,” Bertuccio said. “Using coordinating colors helps me understand the material.”

Sophomore Celia Adams has a unique pencil bag to hold all of her school supplies. Unlike the pencil bags sold in the Spirit Store, Adams’ bag is white with metallic gold accents.

“Every year my best friend gets me a new pencil bag and planner to use for school,” Adams said. “This motivates me for the entire year.”