Field hockey defeats rival Kinkaid after bonding in St. Louis

Two days before the game, the Mavs returned from a trip to St. Louis, where they gained practice time and were able to bond as a team.

Noura Jabir, Staff Writer

The Maverick field hockey team stepped out onto the field on Oct. 5, ready to fight tooth and nail for a victory against rival Kinkaid.

The Mavs defeated Kinkaid 3-1, maintaining control of the field for the majority of the game.

The Mavs started off strong, with junior Frederique Fyhr scoring a goal five minutes into the game. Shortly after, the Falcons pulled together and scored, tying the game. Just before halftime, freshman Piper Edwards tipped the ball into the Falcon goal, reinstating the Mavericks’ lead.

“It was an exciting game,” Edwards said. “We really started working better together towards the end, and we were able to gain a substantial lead.”

Seven minutes into the second half, captain Avery Morris scored her first career goal. Since Morris usually plays defense, the goal came as a pleasant surprise.

Sophomore goalkeeper Amelia Williams was not surprised by the Maverick victory.

“They’re decent, but we play more cohesively than they do, so we kind of overpower them,” Williams said.

The Mavs returned from a tournament in St. Louis two days prior. Players saw the benefits of a team trip early in the season since the road trip gave them time to practice and bond.

“Coming back from St. Louis, we really got in a groove, and I think that showed in the game,” Williams said.