Road to Winter SPC: Girls’ Soccer

Matthew Neal, Staff Writer

Sophomore Gracie Firestone dodges an opponent as she takes the ball down the field during the team’s match against Awty International, Nov. 19. The team won 2-0.

The girls’ soccer team has had to adapt to injuries, including two torn ACL’s, two ankle sprains and one concussion.

“Despite the numerous injuries we’ve had, the team has shown resilience and adapted to work well with each other,” senior captain Jack Simmons said.

The addition of five freshmen has strengthened the girls’ soccer team’s bond.

“The team has put dedication into fitness to help overcome our thinning number of subs, and their hard work shows during games,” sophomore Leah Vogel said. “The players who were pulled up, especially the freshmen, have risen to the occasion and stepped up to give our team more depth.”

The team clinched a third-seed in South Zone.

“We have had a lot of great moments,” senior captain Abby Avery said. “One of my favorite parts of the season was when we were playing up in Austin and won both our games, 3-0, without five of our starters. It showed the strength of our team, and we realized how good we actually were.”

Despite the differences in age and experience, the team shares great camaraderie.

“I’ve never felt so close the team, and we have great chemistry,” Simmons said. “We are a family.”

Girls’ soccer will play their first SPC game against North Zone’s second seed, the Episcopal School of Dallas, in Scotty Caven at 11:00 a.m., Feb. 14.