Field hockey defeats St. Agnes after JV tie

Last+years+team+practices+on+Finnegan+Field.+The+Mavs+appreciated+getting+to+play+St.+Agnes+at+home.+

Grace Sanders

Last years team practices on Finnegan Field. The Mavs appreciated getting to play St. Agnes at home.

Mia Fares, Staff Writer

The Mavs field hockey team beat St. Agnes, 5-0, in their tenth game of the season. Only two weeks before, JV1 held the same St. Agnes team to a scoreless tie.

“We knew that although our JV team tied them we had to come out really hard,” sophomore Mary VanLoh said. “We worked on cutting to every ball with high intensity.”

St. Agnes is not part of the Southwest Preparatory Conference, but the game gave the players a chance to work on the strategies they practice and develop team chemistry.

“It’s sort of just a filler game because they are not in our conference, and they’re good competition, so it’s a good chance for us to play together,” head coach Craig Chambers said. “It’s exciting that the team, which is full of a lot of talent, is coming together and starting together real well.”

Having played St. Agnes before, Chambers prepared for their tough goalie by working with the team on attacking and moving the ball. Chambers said that the team’s ball movement and shot selection were a lot better than last year.

VanLoh scored her first goal of the season, describing the sound the ball made when it hit the back board as her favorite memory. Other players also appreciated the opportunities presented by the game. 

“This was a really fun game because we got to play at home,” sophomore defender Meg Shelburne said. “We really like playing on our own field, which we haven’t done in a while.”