New clubs showcase quirky student interests

The+new+Paul+Rudd+club+advertised+with+a+hand+painted+poster.+

Caroline Ramirez

The new Paul Rudd club advertised with a hand painted poster.

Laney Chang, Staff Writer

The pounding rhythm of Drum Corps, duck whistles of Fins and Feathers and the shouts from students of every club attracted students roaming the Great Lawn during Club Fair, an opportunity for clubs to advertise for new members at the beginning of the school year.

Both newly formed and well established clubs competed for attention at the fair. One new club was the Paul Rudd Club, created by juniors Sabrina Hu and Juliette Draper. Hu and Draper started the club because they consider many of Rudd’s movies to be classics. The club leaders plan to meet once every month to watch Paul Rudd movies.

“I watched ‘Clueless’ in my freshman year the day before my Spanish final, and I really liked it and couldn’t stop thinking about it,” Hu said.

Hu painted a Paul Rudd poster for Club Fair was name by the Review as Most Artistic Poster. During lunch and free periods, Hu used her painting and drawing experience to design the poster.

Another new club, the Conspiracy Theory Club, is led by seniors Katie Smith, Lauren Cerda and Sukul Mittal. They created the club after discussing conspiracy theories with history teacher Joseph Soliman. The club will watch documentaries about conspiracy theories and discuss them during their meetings.

“My friends and I thought his theories were funny. We aren’t trying to prove any of them to be true.” Smith said. “Some of the conspiracy theories are entertaining, like how everyone in the government is actually a lizard.”

Freshmen Lauren Aguilar, Tyler King, Fareen Dhuka and Nicole Doyle have assumed leadership of Harry Potter Club after its senior leaders graduated last year.

“I love Harry Potter. I’ve been reading and rereading the books since I was in kindergarten,” Aguilar said. “I really love Remus Lupin from the series because of the Marauders’ backstory. J. K. Rowling works backstories into her books really well.”

The first Harry Potter Club meeting on Sept. 19 consisted of sorting people into their Hogwarts houses and playing card games. The members plan to spread their love of books through EnLightenment, a community service project where members read to kids.

“It’s always nice to do something nice for others, and that’s what’s so appealing about EnLightenment,” Aguilar said.

Junior Roosh Bhosale and sophomore Sambhu Balakrishnan founded the Geocaching Club last year, a club that uses GPS devices to find hidden treasures. Because of the limited time allotted for clubs, Bhosale and Balakrishnan were not able to successfully plan club meetings or Geocaching trips. This year, newly appointed president Brianna Baskin plans to meet eight times to go Geocaching during designated club meeting times.

Baskin has Geocached ever since her sister stumbled upon a cache, a container with small items inside. Every year, she and her family travel to Hawaii to go Geocaching.

“A lot of times, in the city, Geocaches are a couple blocks away, but in Hawaii we go [hiking to find them],” Baskin said. “Geocaching is for people who are interested in trying to find really cool treasures hidden [throughout] the world.”

Clubs offer students opportunities to get to know their classmates, enjoy shared interests and take a break from academic life.

“Participating in clubs and starting clubs helps me meet a lot more people than I would if I didn’t do clubs,” Hu said.