Athletics wins first Chronicle Cup

The Chronicle Cup is based on both individual and team performances. Joe Faraguna ('16), right, runs for boys'  cross country, which finished first in SPC last year.

Athletics Department

The Chronicle Cup is based on both individual and team performances. Joe Faraguna ('16), right, runs for boys' cross country, which finished first in SPC last year.

Ryan Chang and Dani Yan

The athletics program has won the SPC Director’s Cup three of the last five years. This year, the Mavericks finished second in the Director’s Cup race, just behind Kinkaid. But for the first time in Athletic Director Vince Arduini’s tenure, the Mavs won the 4A Chronicle Cup.

Awarded each summer by the Houston Chronicle, the Chronicle Cup is based on school performances in both individual and team sports. Schools earn points by qualifying for the postseason in team sports or by winning district, regional or state titles in individual events.

The 4A division consists of Houston area private schools and UIL 4A schools.

“While being competitive in the SPC is a top priority, being recognized as the top 4A overall athletic program by the Houston Chronicle is significant.” Arduini said. “Because the Chronicle Cup includes all the 4A schools in the Houston area, we are very proud of this recognition.”

Yo Akiyama, left, has his hand raised after winning by pin in the first round of the state tournament against an opponent from Episcopal High School. Akiyama won the tournament and was named most outstanding wrestler.

Steven Hammerman
Yo Akiyama (’16), left, has his hand raised after winning by pin in round one of the Texas Prep State Tournament. His opponent was from Episcopal High School. Akiyama won the tournament and was named Most Outstanding Wrestler.

The Mavericks had the most SPC titles in the division: seven first place and two runner-up finishes.

“It’s impressive. St. John’s is so academically focused, yet we’re still able to beat Kinkaid as well as other 4A public schools,” said goalie Philip Kensinger (‘16).

Boys’ and girls’ cross country and boys’ track and field all took first place in SPC last year. Boys’ soccer qualified for their first SPC championship since 1986 and finished second. Head coach Richie Mercado attributes the school’s success to a competitive attitude.

Even when one team did not perform as well, others stepped it up,” Mercado said. “Hard work, desire, good assistant coaches and great competitiveness were a big part of our success.”

Arduini accredits each team’s achievement to its senior class and coaches.

“Not only did our seniors excel as competitors, but they also provided leadership.” Arduini said. “The other component for success is an outstanding group of coaches.  Beyond the x’s and o’s of coaching strategy, our coaches represent the highest standards of sportsmanship.”

About the Writers
Ryan Chang, Online Editor-in-Chief

Ryan Chang is a senior, and this is his fourth year on The Review. While he isn't managing the website, he enjoys listening to music, watching comic book...

Dani Yan, Executive Editor of Assignments

Dani Yan is the Executive Editor of Assignments. He is a senior, and this is his fourth year on The Review.