Winter sports teams challenge Episcopal, anticipate SPC

Emily Ragauss

Senior Gabby Otey rushes down the court with possession of the ball.

Emily Chen, Claire Furse and Dani Yan, Staff Writers

The soccer and basketball games against Episcopal High School Friday, Jan. 22 ended in a win, a lose and a draw. Amid frigid temperatures and strong winds, the girls soccer team won and remain undefeated, boys soccer tied with the Knights, and both basketball teams lost their games.

The cold weather and harsh winds couldn’t prevent girls’ soccer from beating Episcopal 3-0.

“I thought that we played really well. It was incredibly windy so we had to keep the ball on the ground, and we did,” senior captain Lindsey Mckone said.

Their win had an added significance because it coincided with Senior Night, during which the team honored senior players and their families.

Beating Episcopal any day is fun but beating them on Senior Night was really special,” Mckone said. “This game was a must win anyways, but with Senior Night we knew we could win big.”

After the win, the Mavericks (9-3, 3-1) look ahead to state competitions and Southwest Preparatory Conference (SPC) with the same perspective they have had since the start of the season.

“Our goals from the beginning of the season were to be first in south zone then first in SPC. Nothing has changed.” Mckone said.

Boys’ soccer endured persistently for an hour and a half, but their game ended in a 0-0 tie. Although both teams had only lost one game the past season before playing each other, the Mavericks tied in more games than the Knights did.

“Episcopal seemed easily favored to win,” sophomore Lars Fyhr said.

The unified team was able to hold their ground even under pressure.

“The entire team showed up. We had two shots on goal, and we were able to match the Knights physically and also match their intensity,”  Fyhr said.

The team is currently at a record of 7-1 overall. The game served as a learning experience for the players.

“Although we managed to get a tie, we still have things to work on to make ourselves better, like being more creative with our offense so that we can start scoring more,” Fyhr said. “But everyone is happy that we managed to get away with a draw by keeping our cool and fighting until the end.”

Girls’ basketball lost to Episcopal by seven points, with a final score of 52 to 45.

“The game actually went really well. We were ahead in the first quarter, and then they switched up their defense and threw us off, but overall we worked great as a team,” sophomore manager Elizabeth Awad said.

Despite the final outcome, team members are pleased with their effort and strategy during Friday’s game.

“We got it together and ended really strongly,” junior Camila Chabayta said. “If we played them again we’d have a really good chance beating them.”

The Mavericks (5-13 overall) are looking ahead to the rest of the season, including counter games this coming Saturday and Monday.

“We’re preparing a lot,” Chabayta said. “We just have to practice a lot and stay determined and connected.”

Senior John Ballard creates an opening.
Nyla Jennings
Senior John Ballard creates an opening.

The boys basketball team also lost to Episcopal on Friday night, with a final score of 53-49.

“We came out really flat and played poorly in the first half,” senior captain Trey Lewis said. “In the second half, we played really well. If we had played two second halves, we probably would have won.”

The team is adjusting their strategy going forward.

“We need to play harder in practice so we can cut down on turnovers,” Lewis said.

Including this loss, the team has an overall season record of 12-14.

“We need to win out and win all counter games,” senior captain Paul Labanowski said. “The ultimate goal is to win SPC, obviously, and winning out would give us the best opportunity to do that.”