Letter from the editor: the aftermath of college admissions decisions

As seniors receive acceptances and rejections, students in other grades should resist asking about their plans.

Marisa Murillo

Rebecca Chen, Editor-in-Chief

Dear Readers,

The college admittance process has been, in summary, a struggle.

Any of you who are friends with seniors–scratch that, have ever been around seniors–have seen how sensitive we can be to college talk. Merely name-dropping an elite institution in conversation will send several heads a-swiveling as the college-crazed kids hunger for the latest intel.

We seniors recently received a flood of information that will determine the next four years of our lives. It’s scary, it’s stressful, and it’s not always fun.

We will all experience disappointment at some point in our lives, and by definition it will never be a pleasant experience. But at least now, know that we’re experiencing it together.

Although it can be awkward to bring up college decisions, if you need sympathy, aid, or congratulations, turn to your peers. We know what you’re going through, and we will be there to eat raw cookie dough, binge-watch Netflix, and do whatever else needed to help you get through a difficult dilemma. Should we restart the college rejection letters wall in Senior Country, perhaps?

To non-seniors–contain your curiosity for just a few more weeks, please. Not everyone has decided or has heard the final word from all their schools, so unless seniors proffer their own decisions, everyone will find out on t-shirt day.

Seniors, no matter whether you go to one of your top choice universities, you will do great things. Your classmates, teachers, and family all believe in you.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Chen