Students run Aramco Half Marathon

Seniors+Aidan+Aguilar%2C+Travis+Ho+and+Ian+Mayral+Boyle+ran+the+half+marathon.+

Aidan Aguilar

Seniors Aidan Aguilar, Travis Ho and Ian Mayral Boyle ran the half marathon.

Rahul Lal, Staff Writer

More than 27,000 runners lined up on Congress Avenue at 7 a.m. on Jan. 19 to embark on the 26.2-mile Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Half Marathon. 

Sophomore Ellie Eikenburg, who ran her second half marathon with her dad, enjoyed the “sense of community” that supporters along the course provided.

“There’s a whole bunch of people from different backgrounds out there running and cheering,” Eikenburg said. 

Before Middle School English teacher Elizabeth Carlson (‘08) ran her first half marathon in Brooklyn in 2015, she avoided athletics. As a St. John’s student, she was not on a single Upper School athletic team, but when some friends coerced her into running her first race, the positivity and encouragement of strangers convinced her to continue running. 

Carlson saw that same kindness in Houston. Random people spent their own money to pass out M&Ms, gummy bears and orange slices.

“It’s a really beautiful thing to be a part of,” Carlson said.  

Carlson also found motivation from running with her husband and friends. 

“I’m always challenging myself,” Carlson said, “not depending on anyone but myself when I’m trying to hit or beat a goal time. That always motivates me to sign up for the next race.” 

Author’s Note: I also ran the half marathon, it took me 1 hour and 49 minutes. I enjoyed keeping pace with my friends I saw along the way and seeing all the strangers cheering me on. 

For full results:  https://track.rtrt.me/e/HOU-2020#/tracker