Why all teens should still trick-or-treat

Grace Randall (middle) poses as a witch for the ninth year in a row.

Sophia Jazaeri, Staff Writer

Ever since I was a kid, I have always looked forward to dressing up in all sorts of costumes and acting like my favorite characters on Oct. 31. This year I wanted to be Spider-Man, but when I told my friends that I was planning to trick-or-treat, they laughed at me. I didn’t understand: What happened to the magic? 

A lot of people won’t trick-or-treat on Halloween because it’s a school night. This is a valid and understandable excuse, but teens shouldn’t let that hold them back. In fact, students simply should not have homework on Halloween; teachers tend to assign less or no homework over holidays including Thanksgiving and Christmas, so the same should apply for Halloween.

I also learned the hard way that trick-or-treating as a teen is considered cringey and that teens who trick-or-treat are considered weird. A quick Youtube search for Halloween Cringe Compilations will load videos that mock teenagers wearing abstract costumes.

There is no age limit to fun. Amid the current political climate, teens need an escape. The resurgence of childhood games including Minecraft and children’s animated shows are so popular because teenagers crave a return to their youth. Instead of turning to substance abuse, my friends prefer Legos and Perler beads.

The takeaway is how important it is for teens to go trick-or-treating. Halloween should be a holiday that anyone can enjoy, especially teenagers who have so much going on already. Go out there, stay safe and have fun!