The Review wins numerous Quill and Scroll awards, sweeps Single Episode Podcasts

Claire Seinsheimer

Pod on the Quad: the Pannill Panel won first place in the Audio Podcast: Single Episode category for the Quill and Scroll awards!

Ryan Chang, Online Editor-in-Chief

Quill and Scroll, an international high school journalism honor society, released awards for their 2019 International Writing, Photo and Multimedia Contest on March 15. Though it was The Review’s first year in the contest, the publication won second place overall for Writing Excellence. Writers, editors and photographers also garnered numerous individual accolades.

The Review Online’s podcast Pod on the Quad swept the Audio Podcast: Single Episode category. Staff writer Ella West won second place for “Women Runners,” while Online Editor-in-Chief Sophia Kontos earned the first place (Sweepstakes Winner) and third place for “The Pannill Panel” and “SAC Roundtable,” respectively. Pod on the Quad was also the Sweepstakes Winner for the Audio Podcast Series, an achievement that Kontos, who started Pod on the Quad two years ago, describes as “incredibly validating.”

“I’m really excited that Pod on the Quad got recognition outside of SJS,” Kontos, a senior, said. “Since I started the podcast, I don’t have an internal standard to match, so it’s nice to get the validation that Ella and I are making a quality podcast.”

Assignments Editor Izzy Andrews won the Profile Writing Sweepstakes award for “Coming soon: Center’s novel turned into movie” in the Jan. 2019 print issue. Photographer Claire Seinsheimer won third place in the News Feature Photography category.

The Review Online’s political package, “Midterm mayhem: The impact of politics at St. John’s,” was named the Sweepstakes Winner in the Political Writing category. It was the most ambitious project in the online publication’s history, representing the efforts of 13 writers, editors and videographers.