Class act: English teacher Janette Hendrix

English teacher has lived in seven different cities, five outside the country, in the past eight years.

Marisa Murillo

Olivia Zhang, Staff Writer

In our series “Class Act,” we introduce new teachers and their backgrounds in and outside the classroom. Read archives from the series here.

In the past eight years, English teacher Janette Hendrix has lived in seven different cities, five of which are international. The new Upper School teacher is not a stranger to adjusting to new places.

After earning a bachelor’s degree in English and Spanish from La Salle University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Hendrix traveled to Scotland to study at the University of Edinburgh, where she earned her master’s degree in Comparative Literature.

It did not take long for her to fall completely in love with the Scottish culture and a man who would later become her husband.

“I keep going back to Scotland. It’s like my second home,” she said.

After living in Scotland, Hendrix traveled to Japan as part of the Japanese Exchange and Teaching Programme, (JET), where she taught English at a local Japanese high school. She loved being able to share her culture with the students and vice versa.

“I’d always wanted to go to Japan. It was my dream,” Hendrix said.

As leisure, Hendrix practices Ashtanga yoga as a form of relaxation and stress relief. She also paints acrylic and watercolor and is currently writing a memoir.

Hendrix’s favorite part about teaching is similar to what she felt about teaching in Japan.

“I love sharing what I know, and then having kids share what they know with me. It’s what I love about teaching,” Hendrix said.