Lizzie Pannill Fletcher’s campaign manager speaks to SPEC, WHEE

Rahul Rupani

Erin Mincberg addresses students in the Chao Room.

Rahul Rupani and Lucy Haire

Politics in Texas are headed in a progressive direction. So said Erin Mincberg, campaign manager for U.S. Representative Lizzie Fletcher (’93).  

The campaign, which resulted in Fletcher flipping the Seventh Congressional District of Texas from Republican to Democratic, was more than a feather in Mincberg’s proverbial cap.

“[The campaign] gave me the hope that democrats in Texas are on the right track,” Mincberg said.  

Mincberg spoke to students, including members of WHEE and the St. John’s Political Education Club, on Jan. 15 at the invitation of history teacher Russell Hardin.

Hardin said students would benefit from hearing from a political insider whose view of politics remains fundamentally optimistic.

“She is not jaded, which is great for young people to see,” Hardin said.

A native Houstonian, Mincberg comes from a politically active family. Her father was the former chair of the Harris County Democratic Party and her mother served on the Board of Education for the Houston Independent School District.

Prior to Fletcher’s campaign, Mincberg spent eight years in California working with Democratic candidates including Senator and presidential hopeful Kamala Harris. Mincberg began as Fletcher’s finance manager in May 2017 before assuming the role of campaign manager in July 2017.

During the campaign, Mincberg noticed how excited people were about her candidate.

“Lizzie is one of the most genuine people you will ever meet,” she said.

Mincberg discussed the importance of state politics and the implications that Texas elections can have on issues such as the upcoming 2020 census and gerrymandered districts across the state. She also emphasized that most of Fletcher’s campaign was staffed by younger volunteers. She attributes the campaign’s appeal to its messaging resonating with voters.

“It’s really about making sure there is an authenticity in the campaign, and Lizzie insisted that we had that,” Mincberg said.

Mia Murillo, a junior, worked alongside Mincberg on the campaign for a year in a multitude of roles including staffing events, canvassing and working phone banks.

“Erin is amazing with words,” said Murillo, a first-time intern. “Any subject matter you throw at her, she is able to give back a fluid and extensive response.”