School reacts to open-carry law, updates weapons policy

A 30.06 sign stating school gun policy is posted on a gate to campus.

Jared Margolis

Emma Shea, Staff Writer

As of January 1, 2016, licensed gun holders in Texas are permitted to openly carry handguns. Although many Texans are overjoyed to be able to take their weapons in public, the “open-carry” law has already caused confusion and panic in parts of the state, especially in high-population areas such as Houston.

“I wish ‘open-carry’ didn’t happen. I’m going to try to get out of this state as soon as I can, ” junior Bob Corpening said. “Even if weapons are public, I feel unsafe and skeptical of everyone else.”

Students have differing views on the new law.

“As long as people are carrying weapons, I guess it’s better that I can at least see them,” senior Jacob Pesikoff said.

Businesses are having to decide whether or not to allow open-carry on business property. Ordinance signs that forbid concealed handguns and openly-carried weapons have been posted in front of St. John’s as well as privately-owned companies including Whataburger.

Another sign with St. John's weapons policy is posted to the gate leading to St. Luke's parking lot.
(Gwendolyn Butler)
Another sign with St. John’s weapons policy is posted on the gate leading to St. Luke’s parking lot.

Some doubt that the ordinance signs will make a difference.

“I don’t think that anyone here would be carrying a gun. Even if they are, those signs may not be able to change their mind,” junior Jake Schick said.

Texas Penal Code Sections 30.06 and 30.07 apply to campus and implement a zero-tolerance policy for guns. Additionally, administration sent out an email to parents explaining the school’s policy.