Debates stimulate learning, communication at JSA Fall State

JSA members pose in front of the Texas Capitol in Austin alongside faculty chaperone Wendall Zartman.

Courtesy photo

Christian Maines, Staff Writer

Rain pelted the ground as junior statesmen ran for cover on their way back to the Texas Capitol Building to recommence their debates, but inclement weather was only a minor setback for an otherwise successful weekend in Austin.  Six SJS students attended the Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) Fall State conference the weekend of November 22-23.

“Fall State this year was fun and engaging,” JSA President Andrew Jing said. “Surprisingly, many people actually took the theme of the conference—pragmatism over principles—to heart, a fact that made for often interesting debate.”

Seven blocks of debates spanned resolutions ranging from Super PACs, affirmative action and immigration to the superiority of Houston versus San Antonio, in which Houston won in a landslide victory.

“Overall, the experience was enjoyable and informative thanks to the relevance and creativity of some of the debate topics as well as the passion of the guest speakers who struggled with partisanship in wake of the 2014 elections,” Jing said.

JSA debates revolve around United States public policy issues typically regarding current events and controversies.  Thought talks and traditional debates are the two engines of discourse at JSA, with debates as the most popular format.

“My favorite part was the private armies debate,” junior Chris Gillett said. “I didn’t know much about the issue or have an opinion about, but I learned a lot and came away with strong feelings about it.”

Senior Miranda Hurtado-Ramos poses questions during a lecture from a guest speaker.
Courtesy photo
Senior Miranda Hurtado-Ramos poses questions during a lecture by a guest speaker.

Typical debates revolve around two main speakers, one affirming the resolution and another negating, with subsequent speakers from the audience who volunteer to aid one side.  Thought talks are less formal and are generally simple guided discussions.

“I feel like I learned a lot at fall state about current issues,” Junior Marcus Manca said. “It was also a ton of fun, and I can’t wait for it next year.”

Guest speakers this year included Representative Donna Howard of Austin, Jonathan Tilove of the Austin-American Statesman, and Will Hailer, the head of the Texas Democratic Party.  On Sunday, a panel of politicians and political journalists discussed issues such as voter turnout.