Terroristic threats to Lamar prompt security measures, caution

Director of Security Richard Still coordinated 3 on duty units and a tactical team, which guarded Lamar today.

Marisa Murillo

Marisa Murillo, Photographer

Houston Independent School District (HISD) Police heightened security at Lamar High School after finding terroristic threats made on Twitter. According to recent reports from KHOU 11, security was increased by 300 percent. The Houston Police Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation worked together to ensure students’ safety.

Headmaster Mark Desjardins sent a pushpage at 7:46 this morning informing parents of the situation. Desjardins confirmed that Director of Security Richard Still coordinated the three on duty units and the tactical team that protected the Lamar campus today.

ABC 13 reported that around a third of Lamar’s student body was absent today. Separated from Lamar only by a thin mesh wire fence, SJS was also bolstered by additional security.

“It’s obviously putting everyone here on edge, whether it’s intended for this school or not. We’re being more mindful of our surroundings,” said Officer L. P. Loya, who helped ensure campus safety today.

HISD posted an update on its news blog at 3:45 p.m. today stating that Lamar administrators were still working with law enforcement to investigate the threats. The post also said that Lamar’s schedule for Friday remains unchanged; students will return to school as usual, and additional security will remain on campus for safety measures.

“There is more security because of the uncertainty of this situation,” Loya said this afternoon. “No one knows when or if it’s going to happen.”

In a blog post, HISD stated that as investigators find more information, it plans to keep students and their families updated. Until then, officers had been working to make students feel safe as well as to keep them from potential harm.

“We’re all being more watchful regarding these circumstances,” Loya said. “If it didn’t happen [this afternoon],  this person could possibly be plotting a threat for a later time.”

Another update posted Thursday at 6:05 p.m. by HISD states that the Harris County District Attorney’s office has accepted charges against a sixteen-year-old Lamar student.