Seniors get creative, competitive during Spoon Tag

Jordan+captures+Gow+outside+of+her+house+in+surveillance+footage.+

Shelby Jordan

Jordan captures Gow outside of her house in surveillance footage.

Megan Chang, Staff Writer

Senior Shelby Jordan was being stalked. She heard rustling noises in nearby bushes. Classmates informed her of a tall figure hiding behind various objects around campus, and Jordan spotted her stalker through surveillance cameras positioned around her house.

Although Jordan, senior Wesley Gow’s target in a SAC activity called Spoon Tag, did not legitimately have a stalker, she enjoys the thrill and intensity of the competition. On the other hand, both Jordan and Gow believe that the paranoia is their least favorite part.

Gow and seniors Kristin Ankoma-Sey and Sam Faraguana started Spoon Tag after it was suggested by senior Jaya Krishnan. The objective of Spoon Tag is to win house points by eliminating another contestant by sneaking up on them from behind and using a plastic spoon to touch the front of their neck. Although only 40 people joined in on the first round, over 100 contestants participated in the second round.

Gow said that Spoon Tag is a great way for all grade levels to get involved with each other. He loves the teamwork aspect of the game as well as the elaborate schemes contestants devise. In addition to recruiting other classmates and peers, some contestants like Gow involve other members of the St. John’s community like teachers.

“I couldn’t sit outside on a beautiful day and just enjoy it because I would keep looking behind me and over my shoulder,” Gow said.

Due to the constant paranoia, both seniors devised plans to capture their respective targets. Gow and Jordan implemented strategies such as staying inside for the majority of the school day, sending scouts, involving other classmates and taking alternative routes to classes.

On March 29 at 8:17 a.m., Gow went to Jordan’s house, in the hope of getting her out of the competition. Jordan, who had a tennis match that afternoon, had left with her dad 17 minutes before Gow arrived. Gow was not able to catch Jordan in time. Although Jordan was initially a bit creeped out, she joined in and went to his house later that weekend to trick Gow.

“I appreciate his dedication, and once he came to my house the game was more intense,” Jordan said.

In addition to involving other classmates and teachers, many contestants, especially Gow and Jordan, resorted to using social media platforms like Snapchat to help get their targets out. While Gow used the Snap Map solely to track Jordan, Jordan tricked her target by having her friend Sam Faraguna log into her Snapchat account. Faraguna, who was at Gow’s house at the time, made it look as if Jordan’s bitmoji was inside Gow’s house.

“Wesley got really freaked out,” Jordan said.

Despite the constant paranoia, both seniors believe that Spoon Tag is an exciting, fun-filled activity. Although Gow was not able to tag Jordan, he appreciates the intensity and creative schemes devised by various contestants to get their target out.

“I get to interact with people in the high school that I don’t usually see that much,” Jordan said.