Students and faculty mill about in the middle of Club Fair. (Benny He)
Students and faculty mill about in the middle of Club Fair.

Benny He

Annual Club Fair provides opportunities to join extracurricular groups

September 14, 2018

As hundreds of students walked onto the Great Lawn, they were bombarded with a menagerie of candy, music and colorful posters. Showcasing about 85 clubs, the annual Club Fair took place on Sept. 6 and 7 during lunch. Clubs ranged from Avatar Club to Model United Nations to a multitude of affinity groups. In this article, sophomore Rahul Rupani and freshman Ella West share their first experiences at Club Fair.

Affinity groups highlight different cultures at Club Fair

Affinity groups While exploring the myriad of booths, the high presence of affinity groups stood out to me. In order to help promote these various groups, Unity Council is instituting an affinity group of the month.

While looking at the South Asian Affinity Group’s booth, I was able to relate to all the different words and cultural traditions on display. As a South Asian, I was also particularly struck by SAAG’s effort to promote South Asian arts and customs.

This year, SAAG is planning an assembly in the hopes of raising awareness about the South Asian culture. Sophomore Shehryar Jafry, a SAAG leader, is looking forward to the club’s reinvigoration.

“Our club is about promoting South Asian culture, teaching others about our culture and allowing South Asians to talk about relevant issues,” Jafry said.

Not only am I proud of my own heritage, I also love learning about the cultures and ways of other people, which I am able to do in International Club. Sophomore Casey Propst, a leader of the club, highlighted their efforts to spread knowledge about different cultures.

“We play music and short animated films and learn about foreign cultures, as well as share the joy of socializing over good food,” Propst said.

About the Writer
Photo of Rahul Rupani
Rahul Rupani, Business Manager

Rahul is a senior, and this is his third year on Review.