From left: juniors Shelby Jordan, Lauren Harpold and Gabriela Long sample different cheeses.

Warda Mohamed

Cheese Club

From providing Torchy’s queso to cheese assortments, Cheese Club is a place for discussing and tasting different types of cheeses.

Juniors Shelby Jordan and Sophia Huynh started the club this year after Club Fair, so many students do not know about it. However, around fifteen attended the last meeting to taste four types of cheese, including white cheddar and Brie.

Math teacher Garvin Gaston supervised the last meeting as the interim sponsor, while English teacher Kristiane Stapleton, the official sponsor, is on leave.

“I did not expect that many people to show up,” Gaston said. “It’s amazing, and it makes me happy that students are interested in tasting different cheeses from around the world.”

While many students are drawn in by the prospect of food, others, such as sophomore Alexander Adrogué, are simply passionate about the informative aspect of Cheese Club.

“I’ve been cooking since I was very young,” Adrogué said. “Just being a foodie is something I’m interested in, and I enjoy cheese as well.”

According to Jordan, the discussions about cheese and their origins makes the club unique. There are plans for the next meeting to feature queso.

“It’s an interesting experience because we share a love of cheese,” Jordan said. “You get to taste what you are learning about.”