• Chapters
    • Chapter 1

Students display creativity at choreography showcase

December 5, 2017

Students, teachers and parents fell silent as Andra Day’s “Rise Up” echoed throughout the Lowe Theater. Members of Terpsichore performed Athena Adrogué’s choreography as a tribute to Houston and all that it faced during Hurricane Harvey.

The annual Student Choreography Showcase took place on Dec. 1. This concert allowed thirteen student choreographers to showcase their creativity by selecting music and teaching other dancers. The dances included music from popular artists, including Lorde, The Chainsmokers and Imagine Dragons.

Students began to develop and learn combinations as early as September, but the majority of the choreography was taught throughout November and during Thanksgiving break.

Terpsichore performed five pieces, and most students were featured in multiple dances. Sophomore Sarah Hill was involved in six different numbers.

“Being involved in so many dances was exhausting, and forced us to build up our stamina,” Hill said. “Learning all of the dances was the hardest part, so we all had videos on our phones of the dances so that we could remember the choreography.”

While most choreographers designed their own pieces, sophomores Mira Thakur and Allison Biegel collaborated on a piece entitled “Bad Blood.”

“Collaborating with Mira was great because we have been friends for so long,” Biegel said. “It was really easy for us to work together, and we really respect each other.”

Sophomore Athena Adrogué choreographed the dance “Rise Up,” which was accompanied by a slideshow displaying the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey.

“I dedicated my dance to the Hurricane Harvey victims after seeing the devastating effects of the disaster on my community,” Adrogué said. “I wanted to tell Houston’s inspirational story of recovery through my dance.”

Adrogué appreciates the challenge posed by the student-driven event.

“The showcase is challenging because you are the choreographer who has to connect with the dancers and effectively bring your vision of the dance to life,” Adrogué said.

Learning the various pieces required dedication and practice from the dancers, who were able to bond during rehearsals.

“We would all laugh with each other during rehearsals and in school, trying to remember what we were doing in every dance and thinking about the inside jokes that we had,” Hill said.

Day in the Life of a Stucho performer

Experience a day in the life of sophomore Mira Thakur, a dancer and choreographer in the annual Student Choreography Showcase.

7:30 am: I drag myself out of bed after staying up late the night before and change into my dance clothes.  

8:31 am: Wrapped in a blanket and exhausted, I watch as my friends change for dance class.

8:35 am: Preparing to run through the dance choreographed by freshman Karli Fisher, I head into the dance studio to stretch. Attempting to pull off my left splits, I watch freshman Connie Yu pull her leg into a pose called a needle, feeling disappointed at my failed split.

Mira Thakur
Dancers rehearse the day before the performance.

4:30 pm: I head to Teahouse with my fellow choreographers Lena Mczeal and Allison Biegel to hang out before the show. Afterwards, we go to Raising Cane’s for a pre-performance meal.  

5: 00 pm: Allison Biegel and I meet with the dancers in our piece to go over last-minute preparations for the dance.

5:30 pm: We head up to the dressing room to do our hair and makeup to prepare for show.  

6:10 pm: We all meet in the dance studio for a warmup led by senior Grace Vincent.  The warmup is exhausting, and we are all panting by the end.  

6:26 pm: I collapse on the floor during the ab workout led by senior Lindsey Ho.  

6:56 pm: I gather the Terpsichore dancers backstage for a class picture. We then rush to our places and get ready for the show to begin.  

7:06 pm: I watch from the wings as the dance concert begins with senior Katie Smith’s piece, “Sparked.”  

8:20 pm: We finish putting up our clothes and line up at the stage door to go outside as a group.  After congratulations from friends and family, I head to a dinner with some of my fellow dancers.  

11:30 pm: I crash into bed, exhausted after a long week of dancing.  

About the Contributors
Photo of Sinclair Mott
Sinclair Mott, Online Editor-in-Chief

Sinclair Mott is a senior, and this is her fourth year on The Review.

Photo of Mira Thakur
Mira Thakur, Staff Writer

Mira is a senior, and this is her third year on The Review.