Gender Equality in Sports

Across the world, male athletes tend to be treated more fairly than women athletes. Well, this should stop.

This injustice affects millions of people around the world. Women feel worse about themselves and in turn, men develop a feeling of superiority. It also affects kids around the world, making girls feel like they are not as good as boys.

I play tennis and basketball. In tennis, women and men are paid the same, get the same trophies and receive the same fame. Sadly, tennis is one of few examples of gender equality in sports.

Nowadays, most people don’t watch the WNBA. I asked kids in my F carrier English class if they knew the name of the Houston women’s basketball team, and not a single kid knew, but everyone knew the name of the Houston men’s basketball team.

The main injustice is the substantial wage gap. Men have higher wages in almost every single sport. According to Spotrac.com, NBA Golden State Warriors player Stephen Curry was the highest paid player in 2022, making $48 million. Contrarily, Spotrac.com notes that WNBA Phoenix Mercury player Diana Taurasi was the highest paid player in 2022, making just $228,094. Stephen Curry made around 210 times more than Diana.

Also, men’s trophies for MVP All – Star are a lot bigger than women’s, which is unfair because everyone earned it and deserves the best. This shouldn’t be allowed. Players from both divisions have put in the same amount of dedication, so why should they be treated so differently? When my basketball team has tournaments, There are way more spectators watching the men’s games than there are spectators watching the womens.

In addition, I bet you didn’t even realize there is a women’s football league.. I asked kids in my class if they knew what the WFA was, and no one did. The NFL Super Bowl probably had more fans watching in one game than the WFA’s whole season. Again, the wage gaps are terrible.. In fact, athletes in the WFA have to pay to play, and they don’t even receive a wage. They spend hours and hours of their lives practicing for a sport from which they don’t even receive a dime.

Now how come when I search for the World Cup only the men’s World Cup pops up? Google assumes that I am searching for men. I have to search for a women’s World Cup for it to pop up. Also, men’s basketball is just known as the NBA which stands for national basketball association and women’s is known as the WNBA women’s national basketball association so why does the women’s have to be specified and the men’s doesn’t? It’s like the world is assuming they are better and more well known, even though they put in the same time and effort as the women. More people should realize the dedication and hours women have put in, and more people should watch women’s games. Women should be paid a lot more. Hopefully one day we will get there.

The Review • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Review Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *