Softball Gender Inequality

Are softball and baseball really that similar? I don’t think so. I am not talking about the size of the ball or the field, but the gender equality while playing these presumably similar sports. Because they definitely are not as alike as we think – and people have begun to notice.

“The players will do whatever you put in front of them. They’re not going to complain,” said Patty Gasso, coach of national champions Oklahoma Sooners. “They’re going to go to bed at three, and wake up at seven.”

College softball game schedules and facilities are an example of one of the many inequalities between the two sports.

“There are questions, and not just about scheduling. The women don’t have showers at USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium,” Gasso said. “Before the tournament there were no indoor batting facilities for the women – men have those things.”

Considering both players have been working hard and long before joining their collegiate teams, it is unfair for women to have fewer facilities. Both men and women are dealing with similar demands from college, yet men have a more school-friendly schedule. My dream is to play softball at a high level, and I am crushed to know that all of these players are treated unequally to their peers.

To add to this, the format of the game schedule is also different between the two sports. According to a report by NBC sports, college softball teams in the Women’s College World Series (WCWS) had to play the same number of games as baseball teams, yet in half as much time. Including doubleheaders that could start late at night. According to NBC Sports, the health, safety and performance of student-athletes’ are affected because of this.

At the WCWS, a few coaches were interviewed about the situation.

“I have been to a point where I’m uncomfortable playing some of my better players. They get to a point where they are really struggling.” said Carol Hutchins, head coach of University of Michigan.

Even our own school lacks gender equality. Have you ever noticed that the softball field doesn’t have lights? It doesn’t — and this makes it especially difficult for both coaches and players during practice. In some instances, Upper School girls must miss part of their last class due to the lack of sunlight.

“Since the field doesn’t have lights, it makes it hard because practice must end at around 5:30. The games are even more challenging because they are around two hours long,” said Girls’ Head Softball Coach Isis Amao.

By adding lights to the softball field, it would raise self-confidence, make our field more accessible and set a good example for other schools to change their own facilities.

“I think the location and quality of the softball field is unfair,” said Katelyn McCollum, an 8th grade softball player. “We have to walk across the whole campus to reach the hitting facility, while baseball players have it right next to their field.”

McCollum also brought attention to the quality of the softball field compared to the baseball field.

“The baseball field is turf, and has a fence. Our field requires lots of maintenance like trimming the grass and keeping the infield clean. We also don’t have a permanent fence,” she said.

Gender inequality is all around us, and happens every day. You do not have to be that person who steps up and speaks out for what is right, but at least honor the work and effort people put into doing the thing they love. My challenge to you is to go watch a college softball game. But do not just watch the game. Instead, pay attention to every pitch, every play and every hit. Focus on how easy they make it look, though that is far from the truth! They have worked so hard to get to where they are today, so give them the respect they deserve.

The Review • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Review Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *