The “GOAT” of Basketball

If you’re a basketball fan like me, you’ve heard the question ‘Who’s the GOAT?’ a million times. I personally think it’s Stephen Curry. While some say it’s MJ or King James, it really depends on how you see it.

To accurately determine who truly is the GOAT, you could look at the stats of the players and compare their prime years to see who’s “better.” You could also read about the impact the players have had on the game. The last aspect basketball fans might look at is the impact they have made in the world, including after they’ve retired.

There are three categories that can be used to assess Stephen Curry and demonstrate why he is the GOAT.

Curry’s prime year, the 2015-2016 season, is a perfect portrayal of his basketball skills and ability.

He averaged 30.1 points, 6.7 assists and 5.4 rebounds. That season he went 50.4 percent from the field, 45.4 percent from 3-point range and 90.8 percent from the free throw line.

The Warriors also finished the season with a 73-9 record, the best NBA record of all time.

Other achievements Curry has accomplished include becoming the all time 3-point scorer in only 786 games compared to the former leader, Ray Allen’s 1300 games. He also has made 9 all-star appearances and acquired 4 NBA titles.

While Curry’s accolades and awards are a perfect reflection of his infamous play, his impact on the game of basketball itself is just as noteworthy.

“Stephen Curry revolutionized the three point shot, making it an essential part of the game and inspiring other players to improve their three point shooting,” said Morgan Wolf in an article on Metro League. “Curry also redefined what it means to be a point guard not only by becoming an elite scorer, but also maintaining his ability to facilitate and distribute the ball.”

Curry’s way of play transformed the way basketball used to be, and it is mostly shown in the evolution of small-ball.

According to Morgan Wolf’s article on MetroLeague.org, “Stephen Curry also progressed the small-ball basketball trend. Small-ball basketball is a style of play in basketball that emphasizes speed, agility, and shooting over size and physicality. Before Steph Curry came into the league most teams didn’t play this way, if not all.” Imagine the NBA still being dominated by big men and no one shooting the three. No fun,right, but thankfully that changed.

Morgan Wolf goes on to say, “When the idea was introduced some teams experimented with it, and the Houston Rockets dedicated themselves to small-ball, with no player taller than 6 ‘7″ in their starting lineup.”

When Stephen Curry got drafted to the Warriors, he brought the idea of small-ball with him. The lineup relied on long range shooting and quick ball movement. The Warriors’ starting lineup often featured four players who could shoot from three point land, which created open lanes on the court for Curry and his teammates.” This small-ball has led the Warriors to success in the NBA, and it was that success that earned them four championship rings.

A known contribution Curry has made to society is his charity, the Eat.Learn.Play Foundation, which was founded in 2019 by Curry and his wife, Aesha. His vision was to pave the path to the future of children, but he has done so much more.

One of their biggest achievements is the distribution of about 15 million meals throughout the Oakland area. Last year, Curry worked with Rakuten to help Garfield Elementary School reopen its library after 10 years of it being shut down.

A few years ago in 2012, he visited Tanzania to deliver anti-malaria nets to the people. He started a program known as Nothing But Nets as he promised to donate three nets for every three-pointer he makes.

“I donated three nets for every three-pointer I made during the 2012-13 season, and now every time I hit a three I will think of the families I met in Tanzania,” said Curry,in the same article by Rizvi.

That year Steph Curry hit 272 threes, which translates into 816 anti-malaria nets, which have made a huge impact for the families in Tanzania.

Curry not only has made a major difference in basketball but also in the world. He had a major part in changing the way players played for the better and making basketball the thrilling sport we love today. Through that, he has also helped children and families around the world.

His basketball journey has also inspired kids like me to love the game of basketball. The first thing you think about when you hear the name Stephen Curry shouldn’t be “the three point god,” but instead his impact on the game and the world.

And of course, his stats too.

The fact that Curry fits these three essential characteristics exactly and has made such a great impact on the world truly shows that he is the real GOAT.