Isabella Diaz-Mira

Tanya Cummings is a college counselor.

Tanya Cummings

Tanya Cummings is a college counselor.

As a college counselor, what is the most valuable piece of advice you can give to students?
You’re the one going to college, not us. You need to be happy about this college. You need to make sure it’s a good fit for you academically, socially, emotionally, financially, religiously—whatever the parameters are; it’s really important that you’re comfortable, not us. It’s really your journey, your path and your decision. We just help you with making that decision and achieving it.

How did you come to work in college counseling?
When I was in college, I took a job working in the academic advising office, helping students plan their degree and making sure they’re on the right track. I really liked it, so I got my master’s in education. After working in education administration, I realized I missed working with students. I applied to the Boys and Girls Club in Dallas to be a volunteer college counselor for economically-challenged high school students. When I was accepted into the program, I realized that I really love college counseling!

What led you to come to St. John’s to do college counseling?
Before the pandemic, I lived in Seattle, and I was the only person in my family not living in Texas. About once a month, I would visit Houston to see my family. But then the pandemic hit, and I was stranded here. Being with my family and knowing my grandmother’s getting older, I realized it was best for me to stay here and find a job that I’m passionate about.

The Review • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Review Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *