Top 10 Online Stories of 2019-2020

The Review Online has continued to grow this year. Online Editors redesigned the home page of the current website for the first time. Copy Editor Ella West has started a new series of podcasts—Impact, which showcases SJS alumni who are changing the world and shaping the future. For the first time, all Upper School students received a free subscription to be notified whenever new stories are posted. Lastly, The Review Online won SNO Distinguished Site status, an award given to websites for journalistic excellence, for the third consecutive year. As this year comes to a close, we looked back at the ten most viewed stories from 2019-2020. Check out some of this year’s highlights!

10. Sara Rose Caplan (’11) speaks to PRISM about LGBTQ+ experiences: PRISM invited alumna Sara Rose Caplan to speak to members about her experiences as a transgender woman on Dec. 3.

Fareen Dhuka
On Dec. 4, PRISM passed out bracelets at their Mini Pride Day celebration.

9. Seniors replicate Upper School campus on Minecraft server: Seniors are rebuilding the SJS campus and hope to host a Minecraft virtual graduation at the end of the school year.

Michael Musallam
16 seniors replicated the Upper School campus on a Minecraft server.

8. Girls’ cross-country team traces thief with tracking software: The girls’ cross country team was robbed during their 6 a.m. practice at Spott’s Park on Aug. 21. Using Life360, a tracking software, the team helped the Houston Police Department apprehend the thief.

Laney Chang
The girls’ cross country team was robbed during their 6 a.m. practice at Spott’s Park on Aug. 21. Using Life360, a tracking software, the team helped the Houston Police Department apprehend the thief.

7. How vaping trends threaten teen health: Studies have shown that vaping can have long-term consequences on a person’s health. This story focuses on teens and their experiences with vaping, as well as what they think about this new discovery.

Celine Huang
According to the CDC, 48 people have died from vaping and over 2,000 people have been hospitalized for vaping-related sickness as of December 2019.

6. Imelda at SJS: Photo Gallery: Tropical storm Imelda hit and flooded areas around St. John’s and neighboring communities on Sept. 19.

Allison Biegel
Rain covers the path between the Lower School carpool lane and the VST.

5. Senior Photos: Faculty Edition: Check out our faculty’s senior photos! Play along and guess the name that belongs to the face.

Courtesy of Eleanor Cannon
Check out our teachers’ senior pictures! Play along and guess who each teacher is.

4. Businesses follow CDC guidelines, adapt to stay-at-home orders: Read about how Daria Westerfield, Tracy Vaught (’73) and Josh Pesikoff (’87) have modified their businesses to keep others safe during the pandemic.

Russell Li
Rice Village parking lots, stores and restaurants are empty while Houstonians stay at home due to COVID-19.

3. COVID-19 closes in on SJS community: As COVID-19 spreads around the world, schools, universities and other organizations are closing and cancelling events to help keep people safe. Find out what members of the SJS community are facing during the pandemic.

Mia Fares and Laney Chang
As COVID-19 spreads around the world, schools, universities and other organizations are closing and cancelling events to help keep people safe.

2. Pandemic Pop: Musicians resort to virtual concerts, streaming services: As the nation adjusts to the new reality of life under self-quarantine, a number of artists and bands are connecting with their fans on live streaming platforms to help alleviate the uncertainty and fear instigated by the outbreak.

Courtesy of Brittney Blair Flinn
After their live concert was cancelled, the Flinns decided to live stream for the guests that had RSVP’d.

1. Letter to Class of 2020: Online Editor-in-Chief SJ Lasley shares her thoughts about the Class of 2020’s experiences in light of COVID-19.

SJ Lasley
Senior SJ Lasley addresses the Class of 2020 in a heartfelt letter.