Music chapel showcases talent, underclassmen performers

Izzy Andrews, Jack Shea, and Alex Tinkham

A hush fell over the students as the Lowe Theater lights dimmed for the annual Music Chapel on February 21. Freshman Joshua Wilson kicked off the show with “Made a Way” by Travis Greene.

“Before I performed, I was really excited,” Wilson said. “But during the performance, I just got lost in the moment.”

Performances spanned a variety of musical styles, ranging from P!nk’s ballad “Glitter in the Air,” performed by freshman Sarah Jane Lasley, to the hardcore “Figure it Out” by Royal Blood, performed by juniors Jacob Brown and Mark Laborde.

One thing all performers shared was pre-show nervousness.

“I was very glad I couldn’t see people’s faces during my performance,” Lasley said. “Afterwards was the best part because I knew I did the best that I could and I was happy with it.”

For sophomore Mycah Clay, who performed an acoustic cover of Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love,” this trepidation served as a reason to perform.

“I auditioned for music chapel because I have had stage fright my entire life,” Clay said. “I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.”

Sophomore Sophie Caldwell’s rendition of “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen was one act that stood out to many audience members.

“Sophie blew the roof off the place,” parent Dale Andrews said. “I felt like I was watching the Grammys.”

Unlike previous Music Chapels, this year’s chapel primarily featured underclassmen. Out of 11 performers, seven were freshmen or sophomores. Still, the older students were not upset.

“All it shows is that the upperclassmen right now aren’t big performers,” junior Simon Jernigan said. “Each class has its own character, and it seems like the freshmen are more musically oriented.”

Many older students welcomed the younger performers.

“I think it’s really great that we had quite a few underclassmen performing,” junior Riya Chakraborty said. “Their courage to perform in front of the entire school is praiseworthy, and it makes upperclassmen happy to see that our traditions will continue to thrive even after we graduate.”