The official student newspaper of St. John's School..

Class act: Database coordinator Trudy Howard

Trudy Howard brings her love of technology and customer service to help manage the St. John's website. (Amy Liu)

For Trudy Howard, databases are nothing new, but teenage students are.

Howard joined the technology team this year as a database coordinator. Before coming to St. John’s, she spent three years supporting the fundraising database at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital.

Although Howard enjoyed working at a hospital, she prefers the community atmosphere of a K-12 school.

“It feels less rigid,” Howard said. “Both my colleagues and the staff are more caring in their interactions. We eat lunch together and have face-to-face time. There is less of a corporate tone.”

Howard helps support all the school’s databases, mainly the school website. She makes sure that information shown online is correct and that the website is functioning properly.

“Every day is a different day, and every day brings new challenges, but that’s the part that I like about this,” Howard said. “It’s a great intersection between problem solving and customer service, which are two things that I love to do.”

Howard works closely with Database Administrator Corrine Duncan. While Howard is a new employee, Duncan has worked in the technology department for 10 years.

“She brings in new thoughts, new sets of skills to apply and new perspectives to the data. We both contribute equally to the work that we have,” Duncan said.

Students and teachers often see Howard while visiting the technology office for help. Howard enjoys seeing new faces from all different facets of school.

“I interact with people from all different divisions and departments. Just a few days ago a Houston police officer came over for technology help,” Howard said. “I’m exposed to more faculty members than just those who work around me. As a new employee, that’s quite helpful.”

Howard, who grew up in Jackson, Mississippi, graduated from Baylor University and lived in Galveston before working at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. She is happy to return to Texas and its warm weather.

She is married and has two dogs named Berkley and George. She enjoys the outdoors and goes to parks during her free time. She spends Saturdays watching college football and NCAA basketball games.